The Green Thumb “Guru” is designed to promote the spirit of the Mission and Philosophy of St.Amant and the goals and objectives of St.Amant’s community based services by assisting the person supported to participate more fully in garden activities to maximize each person’s well-being, quality of life and achieve their desired personal outcomes.
Those in the Community Residential Programs live in their own houses, and enjoy participating and taking pride in their homes. One way they do this is through their gardens. Gardening promotes outdoor activities, bonding with their support workers and friends, as well as pride in accomplishment in seeing their gardens grow. Not to mention they get to showcase their hard work in the contest.
We are requesting your support in allowing our community homes to showcase themselves at their best. We welcome and appreciated the value and support we get from our volunteers, whose time, skills, experience, interests and enthusiasm help those supported by St.Amant in a variety of gardening needs.
Specific tasks would be: preparing the flower/garden beds, planting the seeds/transplants, watering the gardens, weeding, trimming, harvesting and more.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Attention to detail
- Cooperativeness and adherence to safety guidelines are imperative
- Must be willing and able to do physical work and/or lifting items weighing up to 20lbs
- Confidentiality expected
- Professional Gardening experience ideal, but personal experience also welcome
- Must have some gardening experience
- Ability to bend and kneel comfortably for garden work
- Basic knowledge of gardening/horticulture
- Punctual and reliable
- Capacity to work as part of a team as well as independently
Duties and Responsibilities:
Preparing the flower/garden beds, planting the seeds/transplants, watering the gardens, weeding, trimming, harvesting and more, and needs as requested by the home
- Volunteer Orientation to St.Amant
- Ongoing as needed
- Volunteer Services
- Primary Support Staff at Home
- Opportunity to develop rewarding relationship
- A reference for employment/school upon request
- Certificates and appreciation events
- Gain experience working with individuals who have developmental disabilities
- Further experience in gardening
Time required & Length of Commitment:
- Minimum 2-4 shifts per month; based on mutually agreed schedule (for May, June, July, August, September
If you're interested in applying, please visit www.stamant.ca/volunteering/apply/.