We’re in need of 10 volunteers for the upcoming iCan Shine Bike Camp in Winnipeg. This is a great opportunity to be a part of an amazing journey for those that will be learning to ride a bike! Plus, lunch and a free t-shirt are provided.
The expression, “just like riding a bike,” is often used to describe something that’s second nature and easy to do. But if you have a disability, riding a bike may not come naturally at all. We’re excited that you’re thinking about volunteering at the iCan Shine Bike Camp Winnipeg! Volunteers are the heart of our program, making many, many dreams come true.
Here’s how it rolls out:
When: July 22 to July 26, inclusively
Where: 517 Pandora Ave East, East End Arena, Transcona
How: 8 riders per session, 5 sessions of 75 minutes each per day for a total of 40 riders per day
- 2 volunteers are required per rider
- Individualized instruction on specially-adapted bikes teach riders balance and coordination. Volunteers are requested to attend a 45- minute orientation on July 21 at 4 pm at East End Arena to get the training information required to successfully support a rider.
- On Monday and Tuesday, all riders and volunteers are inside the arena on adapted bikes.
- On Wednesday, some riders are ready to graduate to two wheels and with their volunteers, move to the outdoor riding area. Transitions to the 2-wheel bike and the outdoor area continue throughout the week.
- It is important to note that volunteer spotters will walk/jog approximately 3 miles during each 75-minute session. Please keep this in mind if considering volunteering for multiple sessions.
- We ask volunteers to commit to attending all five days of the camp. Volunteers are assigned to the same riders throughout the week, forging trusting relationships as they progress.
Why: It’s a blast and rewarding. In five days, you can make a dream come true!
Sign Up Here for this great opportunity.