Fulfilling Potential Workshop Series – Wednesday Afternoons
Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 1
**This class is a prerequisite for Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 2**
In this class, participants are introduced to a practical way of understanding challenging behaviour. Using the tools of Applied Behaviour Analysis, participants will be empowered to investigate the causes of challenging behaviour in the lives of the people they support. This class is an essential prerequisite for Challenging Behaviour 2, in which today’s knowledge will be used to begin developing behaviour support plans.
2. Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 2
**Participants must first complete Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 1**
Challenging behaviour can be disruptive, it can be an impediment to learning important skills, and it can interfere with the development of meaningful relationships with peers. In the last class, participants were introduced to the behavioural interpretation of challenging behaviour, why it happens, and the elements in our environment that influence learning. Today we will use that knowledge to begin developing behaviour support plans of our own to help the people we care about to reach their fullest potential.
3. Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 1
**This class is a prerequisite for Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 2**
We are usually pretty good at identifying big-picture, long-term goals for the people we support (e.g. more independence, meaningful relationships, academic skills, etc.) It can be much more difficult; however, to establish a step-by-step process to reach those goals that takes into account the individual’s strengths, preferences, and unique challenges. Today, effective teaching strategies will be introduced to help participants set goals, teach important skills, and remain optimistic about the future. Sample datasheets will be provided.
4. Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 2
**Participants must first complete Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 1**
Building on the material from the last class, participants are introduced to more advanced learning concepts, including prompting, shaping, skill fluency, and higher-order problem-solving and creativity. To become good at something – whatever that may be – is the surest way to build self-confidence. But what does it really mean to be good at something? And what’s the best way to get there.
April 25 – June 20, 2023
- Apr 25: Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 1
- May 2: Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 2
- May 16: Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 1
- May 23: Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 2
- Jun 6: Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Jun 13: Planning Happy Days 1 Nov 17: Planning Happy Days 2
- Jun 20: Potty Training Like a Pro
July 19 – September 6, 2023
- Jul 19: Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 1
- Jul 26: Challenging Behaviour: Why it Happens & Effective Supports 2
- Aug 2: Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 1
- Aug 9: Meaningful Goals & Successful Teaching Strategies 2
- Aug 16: Planning Happy Days 1
- Aug 23: Planning Happy Days 2
- Aug 30: Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Sept 6: Potty Training Like a Pro
To register please click here, or go to https://bit.ly/3diRxnK.
If you have any questions, please contact April Plett at email@example.com.
5. Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder
Participants are introduced to the common signs and characteristics of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). In this class, we encourage participants to imagine how the characteristics of autism can influence children’s experiences as they grow up. Using many examples and personal stories, the official diagnostic criteria for ASD will be explored and explained in understandable language.
6. Planning Happy Days 1
**This class prepares participants for Planning Happy Days 2.**
In our everyday life, and as we grow up, we are faced with many options and decisions. It is important for the people we support to learn how to choose wisely and act effectively to enrich their quality of life and to get closer to the lifestyle and values that are important to them (and their community). In this workshop, we explore many reasons why it can be difficult for people to understand their options and to act effectively when given choices. Many tips and possible solutions are offered. We will discuss personal values, skills and capabilities, personal supports, personal history, and more.
7. Planning Happy Days 2
**Highly recommended to first attend Planning Happy Days 1**
What’s the difference between a good day and a bad day? Today we will examine the ingredients that make up a ‘good day’ and explore strategies for creating good days with those we support. Good days include healthy routines, adequate sleep and nutrition, use of visual supports or other tools, and flexible expectations. Additionally, plans are better and days are happier when we work together with the people we support, taking the time to understand their capabilities and personalize their supports. Many of the tools discussed in this class are appropriate for learners of all ages and abilities.
8. Potty Training Like a Pro In this interactive workshop, participants will learn to conduct potty training like a pro! You will be guided through a realistic training process that is based on clinical expertise and established science. Also included are practical tips and discussions of signs of readiness and common barriers during toilet training. Sample datasheets will be provided.